Sunday, July 26, 2009
Messing with Nature- lesson learned
So, this week I learned a lesson about messing with nature. On the side of the lodge a robin built a nest and 3 baby birds hatched. The nest is the top one that I am talking about. Anyways, we had been watching them every now and then and then on... Thursday, I think, I was outside with Megan while she had a smoke break. We look over at the nest and see one of the 2 birds (the other one was gone already) fall out of the nest!! we thought 'wow, this is the 2nd time we've seen a baby robin leave it's nest! what's the odds of that happening twice?'. But, the bird looked a lot smaller than the other baby robin we saw leave it's nest, and it was just hopping around like it couldn't fly yet.
I felt bad for the bird and figured that it accidently fell out of the nest so I decided to put it back in it's nest again. So I proceeded to chase it around- meanwhile the mother robin is screaming at me from a distance and I thought she was going to attack! Finally I caught it and started to put it back in the nest. As I did so, it scared the other smaller bird and he fell out as I put the other one in. Great, that one was even smaller so I HAD to put him back in the nest. So I chase him around and finally catch him and proceede to put him back in the nest but then both got scared out as I did so! I decided that only one was going to stay put in there so I grabbed the smaller of the two (the one that didn't leave on it's own accord) and put him in the nest and we went back to work.
The next day we go out and the bird is gone out of the nest. 'yay!' we thought, 'he flew away!' just then I look down and right below the nest on the ground is the baby bird...DEAD! WITH IT'S HEAD GONE NONETHELESS!! I don't know how it happened (the two suspects are boy scouts or an animal) but it was really sad and I felt bad. So we dug a grave and buried it. Megan always names little animals 'Pooper' so she wrote "RIP POOPER" on the stone we put on his grave. we had a little funeral and put flowers and a wreath on the grave (the wreath is a pop gun thing).
So, sadly, I learned my lesson to not mess with nature. It was probably that bird's time to fly away and I tried putting it back in the nest and maybe contributed to the little one's death. I'm sorry Pooper, I really am. here is a picture of me being sorry. I've learned my lesson.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
That's so sad! I hate it when little birds fall out of the nests! I helped a bird one time, but I heard later that after you touch the bird, the mama bird doesn't want anything to do with it 'cause of the human scent. I don't know if that's true, but I stopped messing with nature after that.
Post a Comment